Sunday, April 25, 2010

Authoritarian Arizona?

The Republican governor of Arizona, Jan Brewer signed a bill on Friday that requires Arizona police to question people who they feel may be in the states illegally. The law thereby demands that immigrants carry their alien registration documents with them at all times.
The bill also targets those who hire illegal immigrant day laborers or knowingly transport them.
The Republican governor also issued an executive order that requires additional training for local officers on how to implement the law without engaging in racial profiling or discrimination.

So that's the basic gist of the law. Critics have been calling the bill highly discriminatory and a step towards authoritarian government. Supported say that it's the first comprehensive step towards doing something about the illegal immigration problem, which I think we can all agree is being handled terribly.
I can see both sides. However if I was asked which side I stand on, I'm in favor of the bill. Oh my god! I agree with a Republican?! My liberal heart bleeds and weeps! No, really. Again, forward not left or right. I'm sure that governor Brewer and I would butt heads on many issues but taking the intiative to bear down on illegal immigration is necessary. I have nothing agaisnt immigrants-hell my mother is an immigrant! What I have a problem with is people who enter into
the country and break the law, either in a violent act or simply by feeding off of a system while not putting anything back into
it. And this is not just about hispanics. It's about anyone who enters into this country illegally. This country is built off of immigration but my grandparents came through Ellis island, legally. Does the fact that they had to sign papers and often times change their name speak of a 1984 authoritarian society? They had to learn the language-is that considered nazistic?
I have to keep my id on me while driving, along with license and registration bearing all sorts of private information. I'm fine with that. My mom had to keep her resident alien card with her, and she did. We all walk around with personal information tied to our persons.

If anyone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it. In this age of over-exaggerated politcal correctness, we seem to be more interested in looking cultural and accepting than acting it. We're either
for open borders and peace and love or we want everyone who can't draw their family tree back
to the Mayflower to get the hell out. How about some middle ground: ur welcome if u can a) learn the language, b) immigrate legally and c) contribute to the society positively. Is that authoritatively unreasonable?

No comments: